Next, owned by Nick Kokonas and Grant Achatz of Alinea, completely overhauls their menu and decor every few months with each round focusing on a different theme. Some of the past concepts have included: Paris 1906, Tour of Thailand, Vegan, Sicily and Kyoto.
This menu takes guests on a culinary wintertime journey throughout various regions in the Alps.
(To see the photos in larger format and descriptions where noted, click on the collage and then the arrows.)
The French Farmhouse
- Stone Soup
- Gratin of Beufort and trumpet crozets
- Tourton of salsify and apple
- Game pie
- Gateau de St. Genix avec du beurre de chevre
- Domaine Dupasquier, Jongieux, Savoiem France 2001
- André et Mirelle Tisot, Cremant du Jura “Indigene,” France NV
The German Beer Hall
- Raclette with potatoes
- Fermented mustard greens and chestnuts
- Pretzel and mustard
- Sausages and pickles
- Pork belly schnitzel with cherry and black walnut
- AugustinerBraü Edelstoff Lager, Germany
The cheese was rocked back and forth against the raclette which was filled with hot coals then melted over our next course.
The Warming Yurt
- Chocolate with black truffle and milk crisp
- Dolin Génépy des, Alpes
The Top of the Swiss Mountain
- Preserved summer berries with cognac and honey
- Smoked arctic char with cauliflower and juniper
- Beef goulash and Barolo with cornbread
- Maison Anselmet, Petit Rouge, Vallée d’ Aosta, Italy
The arctic char was smoked table side on a log. Hidden underneath the log was the broth for the goulash.
- Bitter green salad with pomegranate and fennel ice
- Monte Rossa “Prima Cuvée,” Franciacorta, Italy NV
- Salzburger nockerl
- Apple strudel with clove, cinnamon and Pie spiced ice cream
- Giuliana’s Crema di Limoncello, CH Distillery, Chicago